Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Madball: The Real American Hardcore 7" Single on Black and Blue Swirl

 Madball is one of those bands that have stuck with their style over the course of 20 years or so.  I am always hesitant when I hear they are working on new material because I am afraid they are going to dilute their reputation.

I feel that bands like this his a crossroads and too many of them choose to try and emulate a situation that they were in.  This music was formed as an outlet to a specific set of circumstances and when those circumstances do not exist any longer, how do you keep moving forward? 

Some bands just replicate what they did in the past and try to speak to the same struggles as they had and others mature musically and others yet, mature conceptually. I think the latter is what I respect the most and what contributes the most to the unity and progress of the scene.  Madball may not be struggling on the streets of NY any longer, but they bring a mature perspective to what it was like and what it is like now and are looking out, in a sense and remaining positive.  I am proud to add this to my Madball collection and am happy to see the direction they are going in.  Gives me faith in the future of the NYHC scene!

Madball: All or Nothing

Anyway, this the last of the records I picked up from Reaper and the pressing is awesome! Both sides have very different splatter patterns.  Stripped down and simple, all around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment