Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Record Store Day 2014 - 3 Side by Side 7" - Love/Rush, Devo/Flaming Lips, Poison Idea/Pantera

Record Store Day has been less and less appealing to me each year.  The last couple of years that I have gone, I have seen 2 or 3 couples that go store to store and buy up 1 of anything (each) that may be worth a profit.  There seem to be so many of these people at the stores that getting excited for one of the rarities that I am interested in is not really worth it.  So, I tend to go in the early afternoon and just see what's there.  It's still fun and way less frustrating.

I've been getting side by side records each year and I think they are really unique.  A famous song that has an original version on one side of a 7" and a cover on the other side. This year, I picked up 3 different ones, including a Mystery Side by Side, which is in a black sleeve and you do not know the song or artist.

The mystery record is super interesting. The song is "7 and 7 is" written by Love in 1966 and the flip side is a cover by Rush, from 2004.  An excellent combination of performances.  The vinyl is really interesting as well, it is sort of a opaque yellow with vague pink inside of it.  One side, you can see only a little pink and the other, it is way more pronounced.







Next, is Gates of Steel by Devo from 1980 and covered by The Flaming Lips in 2013.  Again, another great choice for bands to share a split. This is printed on silver/gray vinyl and it almost looks like it has some sort of wrinkle in the dead wax, I've never seen anything like that before.




A Pantera singe from 1994? Very odd to see. The Badge by Poison Idea 1990 and covered by Pantera in 1994. Printed on transparent purple vinyl.








No comments:

Post a Comment